Is Your Home Ready for More Severe Weather?
Many meteorologists agree that extreme weather situations are becoming more frequent, although not necessarily more predictable. Whatever the cause, sever weather can bring new challenges to homeowners who need to protect their property from damage. The following quick checklist for winter-readiness will help you prepare against unnecessary heat loss and unwanted surprises caused by extreme weather conditions.
- Get a furnace efficiency checkup, and replace dated parts, including filters, etc.
- Install or upgrade weatherstripping around windows and doors, both inside and outside.
- Ensure you have adequate attic insulation and proper roof venting.
- Invest in an automatic setback thermostat.
- Keep an emergency kit with a portable heater in case of power failure.
- Check that all roofing components are secure, including shingles, flashing and fascia boards.
- Clean out all eavestroughs and downspouts.
- Make sure rain and melting snow does not collect near the foundation of your home.
- Inspect all windows and doors for smooth operation and snug fitting closures.
- Consider installing storm shutters in high risk situations.
Our Home Owner Resources Page lists several home improvement contractors you can contact to help you with your home improvement needs.